[IUCr Home Page]

Re: (from Davide) COMPCOMM: Summary of the Commissions

Forwarded due to unsociable IUCr listserv.  Hopefully Davide can now
post message from the from the viterbo@unipmn.it subscribed address.

Lachlan.

>DAVIDE.VITERBO@MFN.UNIPMN.IT

>Dear All,
>I am glad to see that there is a lively discussion
>within the Computing Commission about the planning
>of the School and of the Microsymposia related to
>the IUCr-2005 in Florence.
>As far as the School is concerned I think that it
>should last at least 4 days, but 5 days would be optimal.
>I do not think this will make a significant difference
>in the cost of attending the school, to the point of
>discouraging a potential partecipant. Of course some
>financial support for young participants must be found.
>I also totally agree with Bev's comment that "Hands-on
>computer experience is certainly useful, but equally of
>interest ......... were the lectures on computing
>subjects that were done without anything more than an
>overhead projector". More than on demos of software the
>school should concentrate on the illustration of the basic
>algorithms.
>Coming to the microsymposia for the congress, I am closely
>following all the steps done by Carlo Mealli to set up a
>Program Committee and I do not understand David (Brown)'s
>comment:
>"I am surprised that the commissions are being gently blamed
>for not providing program suggestions, as I had the distinct
>impression from earlier correspondence, that the Program Chair
>was interested only in names for the Program Committee at this
>stage, and did not want to receive suggestions for the program
>itself until after the Program Committee had been appointed"
>In his first letter to the commission chairs Carlo asked for
>some preliminary suggestions and indeed some commissions
>provided this information. I know there were some mailing
>problems and that Ton received the letter with some delay.
>The idea of sending a second letter asking for some more
>information was suggested by the IUCr president and discussed
>during his recent visit to Firenze, and the gentle blame was
>for those few chairs who did not even reply to the first letter.
>In any case I strongly favor David's suggestions for including
>in the commission proposals a MS organized by COMCIF and the
>inclusion in the school of at least one lecture on the impact of
>information technology on the future of crystallography.
>
>With my best wishes
>
>Davide
>

>> Dear Ton,
>>
>> 	I am addressing this letter to you as the chair of the Computing
>> Commission, but it is intended as an open letter to the whole Commission
>> and is copied to the COMCIFS discussion group for information.
>>
>> 	I am glad to see from Mealli's latest letter (Second Call) that
>> preparations for the IUCr Congress in Florence in 2005 are moving along
>> well, though I am surprised that the commissions are being gently blamed
>> for not providing program suggestions, as I had the distinct impression
>> from earlier correspondence, that the Program Chair was interested only
> [...]

-----------------------
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick
30th March till 5th May 2003 - visiting: Maproom Rm 31
Geochemistry - Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University
PO Box 1000, 61 Route 9W Palisades, New York 10964-1000 USA
Tel: (845) 365-8302;  Fax: (845) 365-8155; E-mail: l.m.d.cranswick@dl.ac.uk

After 6th May 2003:
Neutron Program for Materials Research (NPMR),
National Research Council (NRC),
Building 459, Station 18, Chalk River Laboratories,
Chalk River, Ontario, Canada, K0J 1J0
Tel: (613) 584-8811; Fax: (613) 584-4040

Reply to: [list | sender only]

Copyright © International Union of Crystallography

IUCr Webmaster