[IUCr Home Page]

Re: COMPCOMM logo competition.

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, L. Cranswick wrote:

> PS:  Intended rule is that participants retain the copyright of their
> art - but by submitting to the competition they are giving the IUCr
> Computing Commision the right to make unrestricted use of their
> art as a log.  Unless someone has a better and non-intimidating
> suggestion that would not alienate possible submissions?

By giving the IUCr Computing Commission unrestricted use of their art
as a logo, the person submitting is essentially surrendering their
copyright. This is fairly common in contests of this sort. That
doesn't mean they lose credit for it. As an example, I'm having
a professional photo taken that I want a publicist to be able to
copy and distribute at will. To do so, I am purchasing the copyright
from the photographer. His name will still appear with the picture
as photographer but it'll be mine to do with as I please.

The typical language for something like this is: All submissions become
the property of the IUCr Computing Commission. I don't think that will
disuade submissions.

I could be wrong.

We sign over copyright of our research papers when we submit them to
Acta Cryst. Still our work, but their property in that form.

Bev