[sdpd] Re: Scratch

The problems of impurities in powder samples and indexing -
and the possibilty of reliable ("black box") powder indexing
method might be realisable Re: the recent work by the following:
Benson M. Kariuki, Scott A. Belmonte, Malcolm I. McMahon,
Roy L. Johnson, Kenneth D. M. Harris and Richard J. Nelmes in
the recent paper in J. Synchrotron Radiation, (1999), 6, pp 87-92.
"A new approach for indexing powder diffraction data
based on whole-profile fitting and global optimization using a
genetic alforithm".

This combines Le Bail whole pattern fitting with Genetic
Algorithms for the optimisation.  Hopefully there may be
an available software package to show this in action at
the Glasgow IUCr Software Fayre
    http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/projects/iucr99-softwarefayre/

In theory, overlapping peaks (not having wonderful
synchrotron data) might also not be that
big a problem; again, due to optimising on the whole
profile.

If this is a new robust method for powder indexing, it
would be a shame to see it just gathering dust in the
printed literture.   One perceived problem with new algorithms
for structure solution from powder diffraction data is that
many of them don't seem to make it beyond the printed word.

Though in the case of indexing, it sounds like the majority
of users must be happy with the combination of Ito, Treor,
Dicvol - otherwise - they would be taking the ideas in
the above and similar journal articles and converting it
to executable code post haste? (i.e., using Le Bail fitting
combined with an appropriate optimisation algorithm - or
suite of algorithms - of which the genetic algorithm seems
to be one of the more obvious ones to use as described in
the above reference)

---

As an extra aside - given the availability of Le Bail fitting
in most Rietveld software - optimising to give the best fit
for indexing might also give an option for automatic suggestion
of space groups.

Lachlan.

--
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick... @dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
NEW CCP14 Web Domain (Under heavy construction):
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk