[sdpd] Re: Is it just awfully quiet these days?

On the quiet nature of crystallographic newsgroups lately - it could
take a few months for those who went to Glasgow to recover and
even get up to slightly normal levels of posting.

----

For indexing of the following - have you routinely used Le Bail
fitting in conjunction with Crysfire/various powder indexing
programs to get a global whole profile view of how good the
cell is?  This is rather easy to do once you have set up at
template file (in Fullprof at least) when trial cells are
produced by Crysfire based indexing programs:

Doing a fit with XFIT for Win95
   http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/tutorial/xfit-95/xfit.htm

Then Powder Indexing with Crysfire:
   http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/tutorial/crys/
TAUP (inside Crysfire) gave two interesting Orthorhomic cells
(one alluded to in the DOC file)  If you suspect Orthorhombic
or higher, TAUP will generally find something if there is
anything to be found.

Swapping quickly between Crysfire and a suitable Rietveld
program (e.g.:)
Le Bail fitting using Winplotr to view plots; Fullprof for DOS
to do the Le Bail fitting and PFE text editor to cut/paste/
edit the Fullprof PCR files (all in separate Windows for
maximum ease)

Winplotr:
  ftp://bali.saclay.cea.fr/pub/divers/winplotr/
  http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp/ccp14/ftp-mirror/fullprof/pub/divers/winplotr/

Fullprof for DOS:
  ftp://charybde.saclay.cea.fr/pub/divers/fullprof.98/ms-dos/
  http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp/ccp14/ftp-mirror/fullprof/pub/divers/fullprof.98/ms-dos/

PFE Text Editor for Windows:
  http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe/
  http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp/web-mirrors/pfe/people/cpaap/pfe/index.html

---

A Le Bail whole profile fit gives a good graphical quality
indication of the trial Cells.  You can also use the weighted
profile as a guide to the quality of the fit and possibly
working out the spacegroup when peaks are highly overlapping.

Example XFIT, Xfit ready Crysfire file and Fullprof files
(with some screen dumps) at:
   http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/test/sdpd/

Could any of the low intensity reflections be possible
impurity peaks?

Lachlan.

PS:  You should be able to do similar very quick Le Bail fitting
in GSAS as well.  Setup and optimise one of the cells.  Then for
new trials, paste in the new Cell; do a powpref to regenerate
the HKLs, then genles.

--
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick... @dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk