[sdpd] Re: C4H4CuAlCl4

Armel,

	The empirical formula was determined by gravimetric means.  It could be
either two H2C=CH2 molecules or one H3C-CH=CH-CH3 molecule.  Haiming Liu, my
MAS NMR collaborator sees some oligimers, but prefers C2H4 bound to the copper
site. My hunch is a rapid dimerization to 2-butene.  NMR expreriments put
olefinic protons within a 4.5 A radius of the Al.  Chemical shift in the 13C
MAS NMR suggests backbonding from the copper to the olefin.

	I have reanalyzed the data by comparing it to time resolved PXRD on the
Translating Image Plate Camera and have grouped the peaks into two phases.  All
the strong peaks in the data set you have examined belong to a single
C4H8CuAlCl4 phase.

	Our next beamtime at the NSLS will not be before the spring, so no new
data soon.

	Thankyou to all sdpd participants for your interest and expertise.

Roger