[sdpd] Epidemic of licence file

I do not understand this new tendency to require to sign
a licence in the domain of free-for-academic software.

"To enable full functionality of XXX a licence file is required"

Recent XXX are WinGX, DIRDIF (and others ?)
Old ones are SHELX, EXPO (and much more ?)

For each new version (with a frequency of 6 or 12 months)
we will have to sign a new licence ?

This is becoming a little boring. The GNU licence does
not request any code number for enabling full functionality,
nor to sign any paper.

I understand the pleasure of programmers to have a huge
list of users. May be this list can help for being funded.

But, in the past, it was sufficient to present a list of
publications in which the software was used successfully...

Opinions ?

Armel Le Bail
http://www.cristal.org/course/