[sdpd] Re: Epidemic of licence file

> I can understand the request of the registration as long as it can be easy
> done (e-mail, like -for instance- WinGX ) and does not require any
> paperwork.   The programmer wants to know how many people are using it for
> updates, etc...
> The point is that the number of users ignoring a program is proportional
> with the difficulty in getting it (unless that program is really great but I
> never found such one!).

I agree on the point about making software as easy as possible to
obtain, of which the automatic Email responder used by the WinGX
single crystal sets a good standard for keeping software authors
informed about who is using their software.

If you have a heavy atom problem, I think you will find Dirdif can do
amazing things in not only solving the structure but also building it up
to near completion.   And far worth the relatively trivial hoop
of requesting an ASCII licence file via E-mail (compared to say
getting admin to send small value purchase orders for payment
of Shareware).

Lachlan.

--
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick... @dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk