[sdpd] Re: A comment on indexing

What Armel actually said was that indexing is not *the* main problem but
remains *one of* the main problems.  I'd go along with that.

Similarly I agree with Ken's reasoning, though not completely with his
emphasis.  Indexing isn't *the* (i.e. only) big problem.  Similarly,
structure solution from powders isn't yet a done deal, though the field is
thriving.

Probably it's too much to expect that structure solution ever *will* be "a
done deal", bearing in mind that pathological structures are quite common,
and that not all ofthem can be solved with single-crystal data either.

If we are talking about synchrotron data from well-crystallised single solid
phases, without significant unidentified impurities, especially if not in the
lowest symmetry (I'm just saying *if* here), then indexing shouldn't very
often be a problem (though sometimes it still will be).

For many (most?) people, though, life isn't like that.  With laboratory
data, with a limited number of broadened lines, or where one may have other
unknown phases (often hard to avoid with polymorphs, natural specimens or the
products of solid-state reactions) then it can be quite another story.

Though it has far fewer unknown parameters, I'm not sure that indexing is
actually an easier problem than structure solution, and it's certainly had
far fewer resources directed at it.  I'd like to see the last aspect change,
but in the first instance that will probably require some changes of
priorities within the powder diffraction community.

As Armel says of the indexing problem: "its peculiarity is that it is
occurring first - no solution at this step and you cannot pursue your
quest".

Robin Shirley