[sdpd] Re: SDPD stagnation

>Opinions ? Are we at a stage where pharmaceutical companies
>are doing SDPDs but are not publishing them, or something
>like that ? How to justify the large quantities of money invested
>by those pharmaceutical companies in SDPD software if nothing
>is produced ? Or is it too soon to see the changes induced in
>SDPD production by the new methods of molecule location ?
>Can we expect to attain 100 published SDPDs per year in 2005 ?

I think that it's too soon to expect the large methodological improvements
concerning structure solution from powder to show in the publication
statistics already now. For instance, we know of at least four new crystal
structures having been solved using the test version of our program
Endeavour in 1999. However, all these results are currently in the
publication process. This may easily take some months if not a year, as you
all know. Besides this, user friendly versions of "Dash" (CCDC) and
"Endeavour" (Crystal Impact) are announced for being available to the public
in summer this year. Thus, I expect an increase of the publication rate
concerning structure solution from powder in 2001 or at the latest 2002.

Best wishes
Holger Putz