RE: [sdpd] Are the following fair comments about present Rietveldlimitations for SDPD?

Special Offer-Earn 300 Points from MyPoints.com for trying ...@Backup
Install today:
http://click.egroups.com/1/6347/14/_/40740/_/969898432/

Armel has some good points about Rietveld limitations.  Also, a lot of the
programs are standalone and I find myself having to retype information
several times as input for each program (that's like importing an Excel file
into Word by typing it!).  I think most of the 1000 powder inorganic
crystallographers are "into" the crystallography and not into writing a
really good user interface (and who can blame them?).

Organic crystallographers do have nice programs to work with - pretty
molecular drawings, point-and-click pictures, even programs viewed with 3-D
glasses.  I know one who spent 4 years in front of one of those programs -
I'm not sure that's a good thing.  Then I found out that s/he didn't
actually know what an r-factor was.  It's possible for a good program to
turn a research group into a kind of factory.  But, enough of my opinions.

				- Kurt Leinenweber

P.S.  To give the story a happy ending, that person eventually solved an
important organic structure!