Re: [sdpd] how to purchase a high resolution diffractometer

If transmission setup is recommended for Rietveld
as given below:
What methods are used for handling absorption/packing
density so that thermal parameters can still make some
sense as well as doing occupancy work?

(Ian Madsen at CSIRO was using industrial diamond
as a dilutant for the capillaries which was working
quite well - though reflection seemed to be much
nicer negating problems due to absorption with
transmission mode data)

I would have thought for "generic" inorganics - reflection
mode would be preferable for Rietveld structure
refinement(?) - assuming preferrered orientation is not that
big a problem.  Am away from the office -  thus from possibly
flawed memory - transmission mode datasets on the 2nd
Rietveld Refinement Round Robin paper (Hill and Cranswick)
for laboratory sources gave some of the worst results?
(though this may not be a statistically valid given
the limited number of lab transmission mode datasets
that were collected)

Routine loading of capillaries can also be tedious and
an expensive consumable after a while.
I take it that with the original request - minimizing
running and consumable costs are important?

Lachlan.

PS:  What are good sources of XRD capillaries these days
and what is the pricing?

PPS:  Also, for indexing purposes - how is the systematic
non-linear peak offset due to absorption in the capillary
handled?  Also, I believe most Rietveld codes do not include
this offset as an option when dealing with capillary data?

--
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick...@dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk

Get free updates on your stocks from any phone with Tellme!
Call 1-800-555-TELL.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9535/14/_/40740/_/971097682/