Re: [sdpd] The (small) budget makes the law

Robin is not being a party pooper here - as I am mainly
referring to "setup" times - not "running" times.

If you have to take 60 minutes setting up the internals
of a program to start using it (getting file formats
and input files in a kosher state) - this is taking away
time that could be used working and thinking about the
problem.  5 to 40 years ago(?) - spending this long
setup time may not have been a worry.   But given how
people are becoming increasing time limited - setup times
can be a serious problem as many people can only
now "do science" in between spare moments they can
escape from administration and other paperwork(?)

Thus I would still say that with XFIT/Crysfire/Chekcell -
the "setup" time to start using it is in minutes.
Though solving the problem of indexing the cell
could be hours/days/weeks/months.

Lachlan.

--
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick...@dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/14/_/40740/_/972402188/