Re: [sdpd] Automatic peak position hunting

> Yes, this occurs for a synchrotron powder pattern
> already discussed at this mailing list about indexing, in email :
> http://www.egroups.com/message/sdpd/113
> with a link to a compressed file containing the data :
> http://www.cristal.org/sdpd/indexrr.zip
> with name biesrf.*
>
> The two not separable peaks are close to 4.2°(2-theta).
>
> I think that, owing to the small FWHM, the step (0.01°2-theta) is
> too large for the derivative method working well.
>
> Going to a 0.005° step, by adding intensities by a simple
> interpolation, makes that the 2 adjacent peaks are then located
> by the automatic hunting without problem.
>
> Anyway, these peak hunting methods really cannot see 2 peaks
> if their maximum are only separated by one step, even if the valley
> is deep. This was noticed by the 13th (unlucky ?) student
> subscribing to the SDPD Internet  Course (and note that the email
> number above is 113 ;-).

Thus the problem is not with the software programs
but with the data collection conditions being
inappropriate - and then blaming the analysis software
as a substitute for proper recollection of the
data (?)

What would your course normally advise when non-optimal
data is collected?

Lachlan.

PS:  Is this cell still considered to be unsolved?

--
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick...@dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk

Click here for more details:
http://click.egroups.com/1/10801/1/_/40740/_/977431350/