Re: [sdpd] Non crystallographic info

Gregory,

I am interested in using vibrational spectroscopy as an additional tool in looking at the reactivity and phase transitions of solids.  The technique can nicely compliment powder diffraction and can give time resolved data to compare with time resolved pxrd data.  From the point of view of structure determination by powder diffraction, such additional spectroscopic techniques can give information about structure and bonding which can aid in developing or evaluating starting models.  I have used polyethylene pellets in our Excaliber FT-IR with good results, however to look at features below 200 cm-1 I must replace the KBr beam-splitter with a Mylar beam-splitter provided by the manufacturer (this is easily done on this instrument).  I also use a specific detector, although I do not recall off the top of my head the specifications of the detector, I believe it is of a fairly standard type.  Since my materials are air and moisture sensitive I clamp thin pieces of mylar over the !
th!
e ends of
 my hand held pellet press before removing it from the glove box.  The whole assembly attaches to the standard sample holder.

Good luck with your experiments.

Roger

>  Hello everyone,
>
> I have a question for the group of no crystallographic interest. I'm performing some FT-IR transmitance experiments in the far region (500-10 cm^-1) in very thin pellets but the host material, KBr, we have, loses its transparency completely at 200 cm^-1. Can anyone suggest another host material except from KBr that can be fairly transparent at that region (that is, 500 -50 cm^1)?  Probably polyethylene?
> I'm trying to see some metal - halogen bonds at that region.
> Thank you in advance,
> Gregory

Roger M. Sullivan
Department of Chemistry, Box 8204