RE: [sdpd] LaB6 standard sample preparation

The standard would indeed no longer be valid after annealing, but it
probably won't be valid after taking it out of its "argon-filled glass
container" either.  The moment one begins sintering of the pellet, I agree
that additional preferred orientation will be generated.  The annealing I'm
talking about would be to remove the influence of the pressing.  I seem to
remember a discussion about it somewhere, but I may be wrong.

You are right, of course.  If the LaB6 standard is only meant to provide
peak profiles, one shouldn't be concerned with preferred orientation.  We
want to use the standard to qualify our lattice parameter determination
procedures, as well as our instrumental effects.  We indeed don't need (and
I personally don't believe either) a precision of 8 digits on the lattice
constant.

Sven