Re: [sdpd] Synchrotron powder diffraction

I agree with you that dedicated lines, such as Peter Stephens and yours
are more efficient for the general user.  However, there is a place for
multi purpose lines, and particularly those on undulators, where often the
politics of funding and building the beamline (particularly at the APS)
forces the multi-purpose approach except for protein crystallography.
The setup time issue can be mitigated by judicious sequential scheduling
of powder diffraction experiments.

Another approach that we are looking into is to try to use one of the
dedicated protein crystallography lines at APS for powder diffraction
(specifically the IMCA-CAT line).  The advantage being that the beam line
is already set up properly and the sample can just be popprd in.
However, the large 2D detectors usually present at such lines will not
give the high resolution that can be obtained with a flat crystal
analyzer.

That being said, it would be nice to have a dedicated powder diffraction
line at the APS (and we are working toward it) but even if it existed I
still might want to use the multi purpose line if my experiment is
particularly well-suited to its beam characteristics.

Cheers,

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics