[sdpd] Re: Crysfire, Windows NT and no *.sum output

Hello,

The course organizers have the privilege to give special permissions.

So, if Crysfire is a real problem for "professional students" working
under Windows NT, they may go directly to the next lesson, unless
they have access to a PC running another operating system (and
unless using Crysfire inside a course require to pay some fees).

The exorbitant cost of PowderSolve for teaching purpose was
already discussed at the SDPD mailing list. The result is that
PowderSolve is not included in the course.

Big software companies like Microsoft have special politics regarding
teaching/learning. The interest is obvious. A student having
learnt to use a software may have some tendency to continue
to use it in the future. For instance, a professional program for
software development like Visual C++6 is available almost for free in a
complete version. You can build software with it. However
these software display a box at the beginning when you start them which
tells that "The terms of the End User Licence agreement for
Visual C++ Introductory Edition do not permit redistribution of
executables you create with this Product". How to transpose that
to solving problems in crystallography ? Seems difficult to mark
a pharmaceutical molecule by something like "The distribution of
this molecule, of which the cell was determined by a demo version
of Crysfire, is not allowed". ;-). Any idea ?

Best,

Armel

>Robin,
>
>Please let me explain my intended use of the crysfire program. At this point I
>am not using it for any industrial purposes. That is to say that I do not use
>the program to index cells on research compounds. I have a multitude of other
>programs that have this capability. I am using it only in as an academic tool.
>Currently I am participating in a internet course that requires the proper
>understanding and use of crysfire to complete individual lessons. I am
>using the
>freely distributed version of this program to fulfill the requirements of each
>these lessons.
>Please excuse me for any misconceptions that I may have caused by including my
>company affiliation along with my name.
>
>Michael Dicks
>

>From: Robin Shirley <R.Shirley...@surrey.ac.uk> on 01/30/2002 05:06 PM GMT

             Robin
Shirley           To:   rietveld_l...@ill.fr
>  <R.Shirley...@surrey.ac.uk>           Cc:    (bcc: Mike
> Dicks-ML/PGI)
>                             Subject:      Re: Crysfire, Windows NT and
> no
>                                  *.sum
> output
>       01/30/2002 12:06
> PM
>         Please respond
>    R.Shirley...@surrey.ac.uk

Dear Dick (and any others to whom it may apply)

> [...]
>position, for which I sincerely apologise, since, in order avoid
>complications over interim licenses and other problems, it was agreed
>with my prospective commercial partners that any licensing for
>industrial and other for-profit use would be deferred until it could be
>done properly via the forthcoming release of Industrial Crysfire.
>
>Unfortunately that has meant that, during this interim period, there is
>not actually any Crysfire version available for industrial use.
>
>This was intended to be only a very temporary situation, but, due to
>illness, the release of both Crysfire 2001 and Industrial Crysfire is
>currently running some six or seven months late.  Hopefully Crysfire
>2001 will be out in February (i.e. within a few weeks, though still
>missing 2001!) and Industrial Crysfire around May/June.
>
>Again, please accept my apologies.  In the meanwhile, I would ask
>industrial crystallographers, particularly those in the pharmaceutical
>industry where safety and certification issues may arise, to hold off
>using Crysfire until a properly tested and licensed version is available.
>
>The present Crysfire 2000 release running under DOS, although it has
>hopefully been found useful within the academic community, is in my
>judgement *not* of sufficient robustness for industrial use, and does
>*not* carry any certification for that kind of application.
>
>It would clearly be embarrassing for all concerned if any problem arose
>in connection with unlicensed use of Crysfire, especially in
>pharmaceutical R&D, and I must explicitly disclaim any responsibility or
>liability in that event.
>
>The classic indexing programs are of course widely available and usually
>supported in the software packages distributed with modern
>diffractometers, and they will handle many indexing situations quite
>adequately.
>
>In the light of this, I hope it won't cause too many difficulties to ask
>those industrial crystallographers who need the extended facilities
>within Crysfire to be patient for a little longer.  I hope soon to have a
>version available that will be suitable for your needs.
>
>Robin Shirley

>From:          dicks.ml...@pg.com
>Subject:       Crysfire, Windows NT and no *.sum output
>To:            rietveld_l...@ill.fr
>Date:          Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:30:03 -0500
>
>I am currently running crysfire on a computer that has NT 4.0 as the operating
>system. I am able to run crysfire from the MSDOS prompt with no problems
>until I
>get to the .smh output. The program completes and displays the short
>output file
>but when I exit this and hit return (in the crysfire program) I get a .smh
>output with no data in it. This happens every time I run the program no matter
>which indexing program I use.  Has anyone else experienced this problem and/or
>have suggestions on how to resolve this?

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/UIYolB/TM