RE: [sdpd] Optimal instrument configuration

Hi,

As far as I have seen with my own eyes - measurements performed on my own
samples in Almelo in the Philips factory - there is no exxageration with
this 99 gain in speed. Using a secondary monochromator the speed gain is
about 16, but with a conventional detector you loose perhaps also a factor
of 6 when inserting a monochromator in the diffracted beam.
The design of this monochromator is very special, since it takes
(partially?) the diffracted beam out of the diffracting plane, because of
the special design of the X'celerator. For the moment the polarisation
factor of this monochromator is not known and have not been measured; they
say that they are working on  it.
The signal/noise ratio and the resolution are indeed comparable with those
of a traditional counter. For those who want to have a significant lower
signal/noise ratio the new Bruker Sol'X detector may be a better choice,
but that one is only slightly faster than a conventional one.
I will be able to do some more tests in a few weeks or so.

Don't know  if other manufacturers are working on this new technique. They
better do so.

Arie van der Lee

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/UIYolB/TM