[sdpd] Summer joke

Hi Colleagues,

I am really found of some advertisements about crystallography
hardware and software, and started to collect them. I pointed some
months ago at the Accelrys flying bicycle. Now we have a sleeping
researcher, see it at :    http://www.cristal.org/accelrys-2.jpg
Again, not me on that picture, though, sometimes simulated annealing
can be long (don't know how Material Studio succeeds in doing millions
of moves for 40-60 independent atoms, fitting hundreds of hkl intensities,
in less than days... in fact, the sleeper can really be one waiting for a
Material Studio result, after all ;-).

Speed is a big argument for diffractometers too. Rigaku proposes
the D/MAX-RAPID with 0-160 in 12 seconds.
            http://www.cristal.org/rigaku.jpg
This is for a list of capabilities including first : "fast phase
identification".
We have recently seen (Search-Match Round Robin) how fast can
really be an identification : probably hardly less than 5 minutes.
So that, your diffractometer can produce, with a sample charger,
7200 powder patterns a day, and you will need 25 days at least
for doing the fast identification (without sleeping). Alternative
is to recruit 75 well trained technicians, each of them working
8 hours a day.

Fantastic ! We live in a fast wonderful World.

Breaking the challenge of publishing more than 1000 manuscripts
in 10 years (at least one publication every 3 days) which is the
number attained by the most prolific crystallographers, seems
now a possibility, though certainly not in the Powder Diffraction
journal.

Have nice vacations, coming back will be hard ! No coffee break
allowed.

Best,

Armel

Will You Find True Love?