Re: [sdpd] PDF-4 - More data ???

Armel:

The numbers are as you indicated for our first release of the RDB:
PDF-4/Full File 2002.
However, the information content within entries has increased in the RDB:
    * For nearly all calculated entries from ICSD, the fully digitized
pattern is generated and the data are exportable in CIF format
    * For almost all experimental entries an approximate digitized pattern
is available and the data are exportable in CIF format
    * For many organic entries, a 2D structure is available
Overall the size of the PDF-2 is ~ 670 MB
while PDF-4 is contained on a 4 CD set that consumes ~2 GB storage,
alternatively offered on a single DVD-ROM.

We plan subsequent releases of the PDF-4/Full File in spring each year, so
new data will first appear in the RDB Release, followed by PDF-2 Release in
the fall.

In addition:
    * The RDB database license is less expensive
    * The viewer program used to search and display the PDF-4/Full File
2002 is integrated into the RDB
    * More powerful search structures are available in PDF-4/Full File 2002
best regards,

John

At 03:29 PM 7/16/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I just received the PDF-4 announcement by normal mail.
>
>The advertisement says :
>     More data
>          More savings
>                 More software
>                       More capability
>
>About the last 3 points, I don't know. But about "More data",
>let us compare the numbers of entries in PDF-2001 and
>PDF-4/Full File 2002 :
>
>                          2002              2001
>Total entries   136895          136895
>inorganics      114546          114546
>organics          24133            24133
>
>So, where exactly are these "more data" ?
>
>Best
>
>Armel

John Faber, Ph.D.
Principal Scientist
International Centre for Diffraction Data
12 Campus Boulevard
Newtown Square, PA 19073-3273, USA
+1-610-325-9814 (phone)
+1-610-325-9823 (fax)