Re: [sdpd] X-Ray for measuring stresses

The more complete book around for residual stresses measurements is the Noyan and Cohen book:
   author = "I. C. Noyan and J. B. Cohen",
   title = "Residual Stress - Measurement by Diffraction and Interpretation",
   publisher = "Springer-Verlag",
   address = "New York",
   year = "1987"

Quoting Jonathan WRIGHT <wright...@esrf.fr>:
> different, so that's why the cell constraint is not used. So far as I know,
> no one has yet incorporated this into a multipattern Rietveld code for
> getting directly at the strain tensor. There are many different programs
> for peak fitting, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

ok, for what I know instead (;-)) the Rietveld program Maud can do such analysis. I was working on that from 92 and the first paper on residual stress analysis using the Rietveld method was appearing on 94:
   author = M. Ferrari and L. Lutterotti,
   title = {Method of simultaneous determination of anisotropic residual stresses and texture by x-ray diffraction},
   journal = JAP,
   year = 1994,
   volume = 76,
   number = 11,
   pages = "7246--7255"

I have other paper on the subject, and actually some people are also using GSAS to extract the peak shifts to apply their own method to get the strain and/or stress texture:
See M. Bourke at LANSCE and D. Balzar in Boulder.

	Best regards,
					Luca

--
Luca Lutterotti