[sdpd] CrystallografX Limited

Hello,

News from the commercial side of SDPD.

Academia has a long tradition to offer services to the industry.

I have done this myself, with a small web page summarizing
very shortly the proposal to help, entitled "I can do it for/with you"
(http://www.cristal.org/job.html). Since 1995, I had 2.5 clients
only. Not a big success, but this has paid some participations
to congress as well as some small computers ;-). I still evaluate
a SDPD for a commercial company to 5000 US$, if successful
(though some companies want to pay even if unsuccessful).

Several companies and university laboratories are offerring
services in single crystal structure determination. And there,
the evaluated costs are frequently made as a function of the
hkl number.

It is also well known that rich industrials have all opportunities
and latitudes for investing in synchrotron or neutron facility beamlines.

A new Scotland Company on that market is CrystallografX Limited
                         http://www.crystallografx.com/
"CrystallografX provides a commercial consultancy and laboratory
service to the chemical and pharmaceutical industries. Company
expertise is focused in the science underlying two critical intellectual
property aspects of chemical development: polymorphism and crystal
structure determination. "

Some of the CrystallografX Limited Directors are also subscribers
of the SDPD Mailing List.

I wish them success in the jungle !

Armel

PS - The CrystallografX Limited spearhead is DASH.
"As originators of the
<http://www.ccdc.cam.ac.uk/prods/dash/index.html>DASH approach to powder
structure solution,
CrystallografX is currently the only organisation authorised by
<http://www.ccdc.cam.ac.uk/>CCDC to use DASH to carry out a structure
determination service. "

Well, OK, apparently we will not be authorised. No problem, the list of
software for SDPD has never been so long. There are also FOX,
PSSP, ESPOIR, FOCUS,  SIMULATED ANNEALING, EXPO (etc) on the
academic side, and ENDEAVOUR, TOPAS, POWDERSOLVE (etc) on the
commercial side. Plus others like EAGER, OCTOPUS, SAFE (etc) under active
development. FOX and TOPAS were winners of the SDPD Round Robin 2
(DASH and the CSD package being winners of the SDPD Round Robin 1
in 1998).

PS2 - Report on the SDPD Round Robin 2 (2002) soon available
somewhere.