Re: [sdpd] Re: UPPW-5 solution - UPPW-6 problem

Alan Coelho wrote:

>UPPW-5 is a case where powder data does not yield a unique solution.
>When multiple solutions yield similar "perfect" Pawley/Le Bail fits with
>similar de Wolff  values then it is not a matter of failure of the
>programs/methods but rather a failure of the data to yield a unique
>solution. In my view it is therefore not possible for any indexing
>method to resolve the ambiguity.

Seems like the challenge is to get those unit cells where the difference
between the "true" solution and the many false solutions is difficult to
distinguish, even if the correct cell appears in the list of possible
solutions. Is it possible (with Topas or any other programs where
authors might be listening) to exploit any "extra" data which can help
to select the "true" solution. One might like to multiple datasets
collected under different conditions, to exploit things like anisotropic
line shifts (temperature/pressure/radiation damage), changes in
intensity due to texture, or even changes in line width due to extra
grinding of annealing. Since these things are hkl dependent, usually in
some understandable way, it should help to eliminate some of the
candidate cells. Currently it seems like a lot of "manual intervention"
would be needed to analyse any data like that.

Given a real sample where you cannot find the unit cell, it does not
seem too arduous to collect more than one powder pattern, but it still
seems very difficult to do anything with the extra data if it is
collected. Can Topas/SVD index help here; is it just a question of
knocking up a clever .inp file? The least squares method seems like it
can be extended to fit hkl dependent functions for proposed cells more
easily than some of the other algorithms. Perhaps a lot of work, but
potentially useful if the unit cells produced were more reliable....

Regards,

Jon

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/UIYolB/TM