RE: [sdpd] Percentage crystallinity calculation using Powder XRD

The separation of x-ray scatteering patterns in to crystalline and
amorphous components to calculate a fraction of crystallinity is a
widespread practise in the study of semi-crystalline polymers. With such
materials the number of crystalline peaks in the region of Q 0.5 to 2/A
is usually small and often the basic form of the amorphous scattering
can be obtained by the study of a quenched or molten sample. Of course
at room temperature, the amorphous component will not be exactly the
same, but thye fully amorphous sample provides a good starting point in
terms of peak fitting. We usually equate the integrals of Q*Q*I(Q)
(conservation of intensity).

Geoffrey Mitchell

Geoffrey Mitchell
Professor of Polymer Physics
Director of the Centre for Advanced Microscopy
Department of Physics  and Polymer Science Centre
University of Reading
Whiteknights, Reading RG6 6AF UK
Tel + 44 118 3788573 Fax + 44 118 9750203
Tel + 44 118 3788541 (Secretary)
www.reading.ac.uk/psc  g.r.mitchell...@reading.ac.uk
www.reading.ac.uk/cfam www.reading.ac.uk/physics