Re: [sdpd] Multi-core and SDPD

> Are some of you already using multi-core PCs for applications
> in crystallography specially adapted, and which ones ?

   Not me. But for direct-space SDPD, you do not necessarily need a multi-core
application, as long as the algorithm is 'stupid' and does not learn from
other structures - like most [reverse] Monte-Carlo methods. Running 20
parallel, independent optimisations is the same as running a single one with
a 20x processor. Which was why Fox cannot parallelize its calculations, from
design choices - something I regret now, though it simplifies code and
optimizations.
   Of course, it *would* be better to use a more intelligent algorithm that
would learn from its errors ! It would definitely be a plus for genetic-like
algorithms, etc...

   An interesting article about using clusters (among other things, that's in
§3.2) is Shankland et al., Z. Kryst. 219(2004), 857
http://www.extenza-eps.com/extenza/contentviewing/viewJournalIssueTOC.do?issueId=2599

Afterthought : this one is more complete
http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?hx5019

	Vincent
--
Vincent Favre-Nicolin