[sdpd] Magnetic space group

Dear all,

I am reading one paper (PRB, 55 (1997) 14987) that reported the structural
parameters of LaMnO3. The atomic positions for space group R-3c (NO. 167):
La: 6a(0, 0, 1/4), Mn: 6b(0, 0, 0). and O: 18e (x, 0, 1/4). The magnetic
structural model has P 1 symmetry with Mn moments parallel to the a or b
axis for this phase.

But another paper (Materials Letters 54 (2002) 211-216) reported the Mn
moments parallel to c axis.

My question is why they chose P 1 symmetry as the magnetic structural model
and in this case what the Mn magnetic postions are. Thanks.

Also, could anybody please recommend some materials for magnetic structure
refinement. I use Fullprof programme. It is the first time for me to refine
low temperature data. Thanks again.

Yours sincerely

Haifeng Li

Haifeng Li

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH

Institut fuer Festkoerperforschung- Streumethoden

Building 04.8 --- Office 332

D-52425 Juelich, Germany

Tel: ++49/ (0)2461-61-2473

Fax: ++49/ (0)2461-61-2610