Re: [sdpd] Re: Publishing a Powder-Diffraction-based paper is hard sometimes

At 03:31 28/04/2009 +0000, you wrote:
>I think that the referee's curiosity about omitted regions is not
>absolutely idle since overlooking "unexplained" reflections may well lead
>to wrong symmetry and structure determination.
>Powder data deposition as supporting information would be the best practice
>(even for single-crystal works :-).

Yes, sure. But this was not really the question. So this is not
the answer... ;-).

Indeed, there was no question at all, just the remark that :
"Publishing a Powder-Diffraction-based paper is hard sometimes."

And at least, for having a chance for the data to be deposited,
the paper must be first accepted, meaning that the referee should
recognize that a perfect work is not always possible with powder
even if nothing is wrong with the part of the pattern explained.
An unknown impurity representing less than 1% of the bulk
cannot be treated by other means than excluded zones.
Or do you belong to this group of experts always able to explain
everything ? Not my case... And depositing the data is not exactly
a solution to that problem. A solution could be to not submit the
manuscript if you guess that reviewers will dislike these unexplained
things. Being at the end of my career, I am trying to publish a lot of
such "still not totally explained" powder problems that were sleeping
in drawers. Some data were even deposited in Powbase, and
addressed to the sagacity of our community (vainly). See "unknown
crystal structures" http://www.cristal.org/iniref/unknown.html
For instance, X-KAlF4 is now solved, 17 years after the synthesis,
and still a few impurity peaks...

Best,

Armel

<*> Your email settings: