From: sdpd...@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Armel Le Bail
Sent: Tue 6/16/2009 1:18 AM
To: sdpd...@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [sdpd] Re: Publish or not publish dirty structures from powder data

Dear Jun Lu,

>As a young guy, in case that some minor diffractions cannot be fitted with
>expected structure, i prefer publish or openly document them in a local
>region, saying preprints, mail groups, forums or blog etc. Such informal
>publication, i believe, can also cause impact and contribution to the science.

OK, but this situation is the consequence of an excess in
the requirement that crystallography should now lead
exclusively to perfect crystal structures, perfectly
characterized. And you should note that the absence
of a suitably large single crystal is already the symptom
that maybe the compound dislikes to be three-dimensionally
ordered on a large scale because of some reasons.

There should be place somewhere for these not-perfect
materials. And reviewers should realize that requesting
perfection is not a so good contribution to the science
advancement if the result is that interesting imperfect
things are staying undisclosed (or possibly discussed
on the Internet - but certainly scientists prefer to keep their
secrets secret...).

Best regards,

Armel

<*> Your email settings: