Re: [sdpd] Re: Are restraints as good as observations ?

On 30/07/2013 07:06, L_Solovyov wrote:
> C2-O1 1.231(39)
> C2-O2 1.296(45)
> C4-O3 1.284(51)
> C4-O4 1.277(42)
> What's the necessity for restraints in this instance – I can't
> understand. If you see it, please, let me know – I'm curious.

I make that:

C2-O1 1.23(4)
C2-O2 1.30(5)
C4-O3 1.28(5)
C4-O4 1.28(5)

These numbers suggest there is still room for improvement. Without
looking at the structural connectivity: are the differences between C-O
bonds significant?

What about the inter-molecular distances holding the structure together?
How do the esd's on those change when restraints are added?

By adding restraints you admit you already know those distances from a
quick look at the connectivity and an undergraduate course in chemistry.
If you didn't do that course or follow the last ~100 years of
crystallography then that could seem a bit overwhelming. Restraints
allow you to get the (unknown and much harder to guess) intermolecular
bonds far more accurately from your limited data.

To see why restraints are useful (if someone genuinely doesn't get it
and it not just trolling) try fitting a low symmetry zeolite structure
with and without the Si-O distances and tetrahedral angles and look at
the resulting pore geometries.

The fact that some theoretician is able to compute the intramolecular
bond lengths does not make them interesting experimental data from
powders. Send that person off to look at data from a high quality charge
density study!

Cheers,

Jon

PS: Original message below, added a cc to the Rietveld list to see if it
works for me.

> Dear Armel,
>
> Being unable to get through the Rietveld list I'm using the SDPD group...
>
> From my experience, most of the currently published restrained structures don't, actually, require restraints, and this is the main problem. The information capacity of powder data is strongly underestimated as well as the power and value of the method. The alternative to restraining is in choosing appropriate corrections, suitable peak shape function, structure model parameters, background definition (or DDM), etc. Instead of all this boring and time-consuming stuff, modern SDPDists prefer imposing restrains just because it's easier.
> Here, for instance, you may see unrestrained refinement results for the structure from your Acta C paper which you referred to in your message:
> https://sites.google.com/site/ddmsuite/tutorials/sk3493I-DDM.zip
> The coordinates and temperature factors of all non-H atoms were refined free. The H-positions were calculated geometrically and constrained with the main atoms. The resultant CIF with distances and angles:
> https://sites.google.com/site/ddmsuite/tutorials/sk3493-DDM.cif
> Selected distances:
> C1-N1 1.403(26)
> C3-N2 1.434(33)
> C1-C2 1.532(44)
> C3-C4 1.513(47)
> C2-O1 1.231(39)
> C2-O2 1.296(45)
> C4-O3 1.284(51)
> C4-O4 1.277(42)
> What's the necessity for restraints in this instance – I can't understand. If you see it, please, let me know – I'm curious.
> BTW, concerning this publication I recently got a mail from a young fellow who referred to it with an exclamation: "Even Armel Le Bail has to apply restraints!". Modern trends seem discouraging even for young scientists.
>
> As for proteins and other complex structures for which free refinement is really impossible, a much reasonable approach is the use of rigid constraints that reduce the number of variables and provide estimations of their real uncertainties. DFT might also help in this case, of course.
>
> So, besides the total DFTization, other options are: Modelization, Experimntalization, DDMization, etc.
>
> Best regards,
> Leonid

> Leonid A. Solovyov
> Institute of Chemistry and Chemical Technology
> 660049, K. Marx 42, Krasnoyarsk, Russia
> http://sites.google.com/site/solovyovleonid

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional