[sdpd] Re: a suggestion...

The ICDD maintains the PDF-2, that contains information on approximately 120,000 powder patterns. In addition, the ICDD is compiling a database of full patterns (the database is called PDF-3). At last count there were approximately 3,000 full patterns in this forming database. We also have a large number of NIST 1976 corundum datasets that were taken as reference patterns.

For transport and archiving purposes, we have used CIF-STAR. The Powder Dictionary provides a means of documenting the experiment associated with each data set (ICDD has significant input, along with others, for the design of this dictionary). I am sure the ICDD would be happy to receive full patterns (with supporting documentation) for possible inclusion in this new PDF-3 database.

Thanks,

John

At 12:32 AM 11/4/99 +0100, you wrote:
Helio Salim de Amorim wrote:

>... could be very useful to create a powder diffraction data base in the Web,

This is really something to do.

I am sure that Lachlan would be ready to store a data base of
powder patterns. I would add to this database many patterns,
already available in dispersed Web pages. If authors of SDPD
were all convinced of the interest of this database, more than
300 raw patterns could be listed with their characteristics and
references of publication, but...

Note that you may find some full powder patterns attached to
papers published by the IUCr Journals. There is already a
kind of small database there.

           http://journals.iucr.org/services/search.html

But the papers are not really arranged in a way allowing a systematic
search giving only outputs containing raw powder data. You
have to try paper by paper after a search by using "powder" as
keyword. Then you will find data times to times, like :

http://journals.iucr.org/iucr-top/journals/acta/tocs/actac/1999/actac5503.d /av1026.rtv

And some papers escape to IUCr.

Best,

Armel