[sdpd] Re: SDPD stagnation

Lubo wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Dr. Holger Putz wrote:
>
>> This is exactly the point where I see the advantage of commercial
>> programs...they allow a lot more people
>
>Last words are a practical joke if you consider prices ...

And let me add that the "download culture" will soon be killed
by commercial programs, definitely. I defend that culture which
is finally that of "Open Sources". And I give more than a try to a
program which does not deliver immediately a solution. In other
words, I think (as an expert) that programs will do nothing good
with bad data. In spite of the shiny GUI, commercial programs are
not more able to detect bad data than any old simple command-line
program (which possess an elementary marvellous GUI, if you look
more accurately, which is the simple text editor, allowing to see all
parameters gathered in one page).

In 5 years I will be still there (I hope...) and count the DASH and
Endeavour as well as PowderSolve commercial success ;-).

Best,

Armel Le Bail - Universite du Maine, Laboratoire des Fluorures,
CNRS ESA 6010, Av. O. Messiaen, 72085 Le Mans Cedex 9, France
http://www.cristal.org/