RE: [sdpd] Workshop announcement

Armel,

We'll need to agree to disagree on this one!

> you do not respect the academia deal

I'm afraid that you know nothing about how
DASH was developed, and in who's time.

> It would have certainly be more useful (the Internet)
> if more leaders (like you) had contributed in
> information dissemination

Our most significant contribution was showing that
SDPD for organics could be fast and routine.  This was
shown in Z Krist and Chem Comm & at numerous international
meetings.  The leads were given freely and openly both in paper
and on the Internet.  I call that dissemination.  The Round
Robin also did a good job of spreading the word.

> Concerning Internet, you may hardly pretend that this way of
> communication has not served the crystallographers community.

Of course it's a great servant.  After all, three people
(myself, Chick Wilson and Tony Csoka) handled EVERY aspect
of IUcr abstract submission for the Glasgow meeting.
How?  We allowed automated submission via the internet.

Clearly, there's room for both camps.  Free software is fine
and often the best.  Commercial stuff is often good, sometimes
awful.  Anyway, what are you getting so worked up about - it's
not as if you're having to write it !!

Finally, why do you think that there is such a "silent majority"
who don't contribute to the newsgroups?

Cheers,

Kenneth