RE: [sdpd] Workshop announcement

>Finally, why do you think that there is such a "silent majority"
>who don't contribute to the newsgroups?

Being not especially silencious, I have difficulties to imagine
reasons. Here is a list of hypotheses :

- nothing to say (out of the peer review system), nothing to ask,
    no answer to give (don't want to do the job in place of all
    these guys asking for help),
- nothing to share, no willingness to share, great sense of
    personnal property of results produced with public funds,
- fear of writing something wrong, not wanting that people
    realize that you do not know everything,
- being afraid that people steal your texts and ideas, and get
   some (Ig)Nobel price in your place,
- never wanting to participate to something you did not
    create by yourself,
- no Internet skills, no possibility to create your own Web page,
- no time or interest at all for reading texts written by others,
- comfortably installed in the academia system,
- according only to the various Crystallography Societies the
    right to drive crystallography by international or national
    congress,
- not loving your work, back home fast at the end, just in time,
- no sense of the world human community,
- anyway, never speaking to your neighbour, at home or even at work,
- having time for publishing results (waiting 1-2 years is just fine),
- preferring to be published than to become your own publisher,
- etc.

Additional hypotheses welcome.

Best,

Armel