   Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 15:14:07 +0100
   From: Armel Le Bail <armel...@fluo.univ-lemans.fr>
Subject: Re: crsytallographic studies of some carbohydrates

Steve Maginn wrote :
>The information on the particular compounds you mention will be sent to
you.
>For powder diffraction information (peak heights, d-spacings etc) I imagine
>the ICDD's Powder Diffraction File will have all the necessary information.
>
>I hope this is helpful.

Dear Steve, yes this is certainly helpful, and I think that
we can applause to your initiative ! This is a door open to
new horizons for scientists in countries without access to the
Cambridge Structural Database ! However, you take the risk
of some overload, if this is known...

Can we expect the same from ICDD ?

Best regards,

Armel Le Bail
http://www.cristal.org/course/

and read this

Message: 2
>>The information on the particular compounds you mention will be sent to
you.
>>For powder diffraction information (peak heights, d-spacings etc) I
imagine
>>the ICDD's Powder Diffraction File will have all the necessary
information.

>>I hope this is helpful.
>
>Dear Steve, yes this is certainly helpful, and I think that
>we can applause to your initiative ! This is a door open to
>new horizons for scientists in countries without access to the
>Cambridge Structural Database ! However, you take the risk
>of some overload, if this is known...

Dear Armel,

Thankyou for the plaudits, but I cannot claim credit for any such
initiative.

As part of its remit, CCDC will respond in this way to any such request for
structural information on a small number of compounds from any academic
scientist, wherever they work in the world. This has always been and
remains our policy. This information is public domain anyway, so how could
we refuse ? We get about 2 - 3 such requests every week, in fact, normally
directed straight to us.

Problems only arise with this sort of request when intelligent searches of
the database are required. This is why we may be limited in what we can do
as far as "similar compounds" are concerned that Zia Khan refers to. Then
we recommend that people subscribe. We would also recommend this if the
same person keeps asking for small numbers of compounds ! (This has not
happened during my time here !) Of course, we all need to pay our mortgages
too !

Best regards,

Steve Maginn

After The following message I gave up