RE: [sdpd] How hot are the "special methods" for SDPD ?

Jonathan WRIGHT wrote...

>they were mainly after
>stereochemistry from crystallography (ie absolute configuration)

	Actually, I work a good deal with synthetic organic chemists (yes,
half of me is a service crystallorgapher) and their main interest is not the
absolute configuration, which they usually know from prior knowledge of a
pre-existing chiral center, but rather just the relative stereochemistry
(i.e., what is the main product of this Diels-Alder reaction, which we can't
get from a Mosher ester NOE experiment).  Which would be just great from
powder work.  And this was the reason why I did look at the diffraction
pattern of an organic material.

	And yes, crystallizing together with a known chiral compound is a
good way to get absolute structures even from CHNO type compounds, if no
other a priori knowledge exists.

	AlexY