Re: [sdpd] Re: Welcome to sdpd

At 08:20 PM 8/22/01 +0200, you wrote:
>I would add point 1.5 ;-)
>
>1.5. Few people have direct access to a synchrotron. Most people will
>thus make the best powder pattern they can on their local conventional
>powder diffractometer. Clearly, if they succeed in determining the
>structure, they will possibly publish it without making the effort to try to
>access to a synchrotron.

The listing was in order of information content of the data itself (i.e.
number of independent I(hkl) values which can be obtained). What you might
want and what you can get most easily are rarely the same thing!

However, accessing a synchrotron or neutron facility is frequently easier
than growing a single crystal ... it depends on the sample. In the very
unlikely event that a structure remains intractable from conventional
laboratory data, it does at least offer another option, and promises a
better refinement when the structure is finally solved. Sometimes it might
be pragmatic to skip the intermediate step... for example I'm curious about
how data from a protein looks on a conventional instrument.

Best,

Jon

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/M8mxkD/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/UIYolB/TM