[sdpd] Synchrotron powder diffraction

I'm often puzzled when I hear, in this discussion group, at conferences,
and elsewhere, people express the opinion that synchrotron radiation for
their powder diffraction experiments is out of reach.  I hear that far more
often than I hear requests for information or to collaborate.  As far as I
know, all of the operating synchrotron radiation facilities have some kind
of general user program for people who are not part of the "synchrotron
establishment" to have access.  It may not be the same as having a
synchrotron beamline of your own (actually nobody has that), but these
instruments have really become a commodity rather than a heroically
difficult thing to access and use.

The deadline for the next cycle of general user proposals at the NSLS is
September 30th.  There are several beamlines here suitable for powder
diffraction for SDPD; I'm writing now just to advertise the one that I
operate, X3B1.  You can find some information, including references to
recent publications, on my web site, powder.physics.sunysb.edu.  Materials
to apply for beamtime can be found on the NSLS web site,
nslsweb.nsls.bnl.gov.

If travelling to the NSLS seems burdensome, I can run your samples in a
"mail in" mode.  Write a proposal as if you intended to come, and mail me
the sample (with needed safety info!) and I'll slip it in when I have a
window of time.  Often, much sooner than you could get here yourself.

Peter W. Stephens
Professor and Director of the Graduate Program
Department of Physics & Astronomy
State University of New York
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3800

FREE COLLEGE MONEY