[sdpd] Re: Minerals with unknown structure (>300)

(1)

> and indexing  in monoclinic from 6 diffraction lines and a figure of
> merit F(6) = 1 (0.102, 118), wow ! Robin, don't laugh !

I don't understand - what's going on here?  A figure of merit F(6) of 1
would appear to mean a totally random fit (actually worse than most
random fits!).

But if 118 calc lines were used with just 6 obs lines, then the cell
must presumably have been derived from some external source, so the FoM
would then essentially be irrelevant, and only included because of some
ICDD rule and custom that you have to report one.

Otherwise, with only 6 lines and 4 free metrical variables in monoclinic
to fit them with, one should easily be able to generate numerous cells
with figures of merit >100 (though all essentially meaningless).

(2)

> F(30)= 2 (0.037, 496) in the 22-0711 ICDD entry (re-wow !).

Your first example might have some reasonable underlying explanation,
though clumsily expressed, but this one looks like sheer junk.

How would anyone in the 21st century even consider publishing a general
powder indexing with a FoM of 2?  And no wonder it's so low if 496 calc
lines had to be generated to engineer a fit to just 30 obs ones - de
Wolff must be turning in his grave.

> My conclusion is that increasing the ICDD database content with
> redundant bad data is continuing.

I'm afraid it does rather look that way.

Robin