Re: [sdpd] Re: Minerals with unknown structure (>300)

On Friday, September 14, 2001 3:45 PM, Robin Shirley <R.Shirley...@surrey.ac.uk> wrote:

>(2)
>
>> F(30)= 2 (0.037, 496) in the 22-0711 ICDD entry (re-wow !).
>
>Your first example might have some reasonable underlying explanation,
>though clumsily expressed, but this one looks like sheer junk.
>
>How would anyone in the 21st century even consider publishing a general
>powder indexing with a FoM of 2?

If this data is from PDF set 22 it would have been added around 1972 - which is hardly the 21st century - so I would think DeWolff should have stopped turning in his grave by now! However, your point was still quite valid even in the dark ages of the 20th century. The ICDD clearly needs to critically review past data sets to cull the inaccurate (and also the redundant) entries.

Andrew

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MDsVHB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/UIYolB/TM