Re: [sdpd] Encouragements (student numbers & Crysfire)

Dear Armel

> 12 in 1999-2000; 6 in 2000-2001, and 3 in 2001-2002.
> this is hard work (CRYSFIRE handling seems to discourage some people)

These small numbers surprised me, since for the last 2 years people on
your SDPD course seem to contribute more than half of the emails that I
receive urgently requesting Crysfire support!

Usually the underlying problem is that they seem to have used their
computers only for running a word processor and surfing the Web, and are
confused over basic concepts such as directories and paths, and the
distinctions between an operating system and user programs, local files
and networked resources, etc.

The students might be expected to be self-selected for computer literacy,
since they've chosen to enrol for a technical course delivered via
computing technology, but in practice I'm not so sure.

Since these are the ones who actually enrolled, perhaps more have been
deterred by doubts about their fluency with computers - if so, this may
be something that you can address.

I hope these comments are helpful.

As far as Crysfire itself is concerned, the delayed release of Crysfire
2001 should occur within weeks, now that I'm re-emerging from the dark
tunnel of teaching core statistics and computing courses to 200+
psychology students, which occupies most of my waking hours between
September and April (just finishing their exam marking now!).

This should particularly help your SDPD students, since, although it
will superficially look similar, much of the system has actually been
rewritten.

The new release should hopefully be better at steering naive users away
from computational problems, as well taking care of some specific issues
such as the need for particular operating-system facilities (e.g. SORT)
that are missing from Windows/NT.

Watch this space!

Robin Shirley