[sdpd] Re: Synchrotron beam time proposals

Dear colleagues,

Some of the discussion I read here looks a bit like synchrotron-envy, and I
am writing to remind you that all of the synchrotron sources that have good
powder diffraction beamlines also have programs to give access to people
who are not presently in the system.  At the NSLS, they are called general
users, and I am happy to help people use the resource to the extent of
receiving your sample by mail, collecting the data, and sending it back to
you.   Here is a testimonial from no less a personage than Armel Le Bail.

"It is worth the effort to write a proposal. No need to go to the US, your
local contact may record the pattern(s) for you. I have tried and it
worked, the problem was solved and the manuscript is submitted, in less
than 6 months. Wonderful ! - Armel -"

For the NSLS, short proposals are due at the end of this month; follow
links from nslsweb.nsls.bnl.gov.  The proposals are essentially never
declined, and I am happy to find a time slot to put in the sample, probably
much sooner than anything would be scheduled through the usual pathway.
Please contact me if you are interested and/or have questions.

Best,
Peter

Peter W. Stephens
Professor and Director of the Graduate Program
Department of Physics & Astronomy
State University of New York
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3800

Buy Stock for $4