Re: [sdpd] Open crystallographic database - a role for whom?

>The question is: Do we have enough scientists who are willing to
>cooperate?

You have at least one, me. Tired enough to to the main job (writing
AND reviewing papers) and obtaining nothing or peanuts in return.

But Crystal Impact is a "(not) for profit" organization as well, or am I
wrong ? The Pauling file is not especially free access ?

Open access literature is developing fast. Yes, why not a free
global database (no discrimination of inorganic/organic) of atomic
coordinates (even including coordinates of structures
determined in Iraq) on the model of the protein database and of the
ArXiv preprint server http://arxiv.org/ with mirrors everywhere
in the world in universities.

The whole database would occupy less than 10% of my
current computer hard disc.

Just one problem : crystal structure atomic coordinates come
mainly from chemists having not yet really understood the interest
of the deposition of their papers at preprint servers. They
would be too lazy for sending data, I guess. Moreover, conflicts
of interest exist in the IUCr community largely sponsored
by "not for profit" organizations building databases.

On the other hand, probably > 95% of 30000 crystallographers
having determined the >300000 known structures are still
alive. They would have full right to make additions to the
open database... Just have to convince them ;-).

Best,

Armel

PS - OK, send the bomb on me now, Donald R.. Am I not one of these
ungrateful french people ?