AW: [sdpd] Open crystallographic database - a role for whom?

 > But Crystal Impact is a "(not) for profit" organization as well, or am I
 > wrong ? The Pauling file is not especially free access ?

Crystal Impact is a profit organization - no doubt. So you may ask what
would be our interest in a free database.

1. We do not produce databases. The Pauling File is not a product of Crystal
Impact. We developed the browsing and retrieval software of the CD-ROM
version of the Binaries Edition on behalf and in collaboration with MPDS.
That's all. The product is distributed exclusively by ASM International and
we don't have any influence on pricing or access conditions.

2. On the other hand most of our customers are using crystallographic
databases. For the success of our products it is necessary, that such
databases are available. In long terms a free standardized global database
would certainly be of our interest. That's why we would support such a
project as well as any improvement of the existing databases.

Best

Michael

Dr. Michael BERNDT
Crystal Impact GbR