[sdpd] Spurious infected email(s) using my address

This is to alert list users that some lowlife out there has been
transmitting phoney virus-infected email messages that claim to come
from this address.

To judge from a number of reject messages I've been receiving from
various email systems, a spurious email (Subject: "Re movie") was
broadcast under my name towards the end of last week.

It carried a largish (c.115K) attachment ("your_details.zip") which
reportedly was infected with the W32/Sobig-C (or Sobig-E) virus.

I must emphasise that this email did *not* originate from me and that I
have no knowledge of it and its contents, other than what is described
above.  Someone was apparently spoofing my address - I doubt whether our
mailsystem was actually hi-jacked, but I'll copy this to our postmaster
for information.

In general I don't recognise the "to" addressees, so it's unlikely that
my address book was involved (they wouldn't find that easy anyway - I'm
on a well guarded system and not an Outlook user).

However, since a copy was apparently sent to Bob Von Dreele (but
fortunately didn't get through), I'm sending out this warning to the
rietveld and sdpd lists in case that was where my address was picked up,
and others on these lists may become involved, either as recipients or
"senders" like me.

This possibility is strengthened by the fact that I had previously
received a rejected-incoming message on 3 June concerning an email
purporting to come from "werner...@struc.su.se" (presumably Per-Eric
Werner's in Stockholm) and containing the same virus.

Hopefully this warning will prove unnecessary, but it does no harm to be
prepared.

Robin Shirley
School of Human Sciences
University of Surrey