[sdpd] Seen in Scientific Computing about indexing

X-Cell heads for the powder

A new algorithm from Accelrys may transform powder diffraction indexing,
writes David Bradley

http://www.scientific-computing.com/scwjulaug03review_x-cell.html

"The algorithm is robust enough to be able to determine the dominant phase
of a mixture in the presence of even up to 50 per cent impurity peaks if
high-quality synchrotron data are available. "

Well, this was demonstrated too for McMaille at ECM21, Durban, last week,
though with such a high percentage of impurity peaks, the correct cell is not
always found at the top position in the list of possible cells.

I was said that D. Louër presented a new DICVOL version at the
DENVER meeting able to cope (for the first time) with impurity lines
as well.

Is a new era for better indexing really starting ? Is the indexing
bottleneck a bad souvenir ? I am not so sure. Things are a bit
improved, certainly, users will have more chance to succeed, but
not 100% chances ;-).

Best,

Armel

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/UIYolB/TM