RE: [sdpd] Putting a molecule on a symmetry axis

FOX software has no problem with handling special positions as there is no
need to put molecule in special position. When the molecule approaches
itself (is in special position or very close to it <0.5 A) the occup. factor
is modified by corresponding multiplier. This is very convenient! especially
when dealing with individual atoms or small groups like PO4. It also means
that there is nothing wrong in putting more atoms or groups than are present
in the structure (that's what we sometimes don't know). Excess of atoms or
molecules will overlap with similar ones. Of course it's better to avoid to
use too many of them. I found that this works very well at least with
extended solids.
Best wishes,

Peter

Dr. Peter Y. Zavalij
University Crystallographer
Institute for Materials Research
and Chemistry Department
Binghamton University, SUNY, Vestal Pkwy, East
Binghamton, NY 13902-6000, USA
Tel: (607)777-4298    Fax: (607)777-4623
E-mail:Peter.Zavalij...@Binghamton.edu
http://materials.binghamton.edu/zavalij