Re: [sdpd] TOPAS A

>Outstanding, certainly. Every programmer says the same
>of his own program ;-). So, can you prove that it is
>even more outstanding than all these other outstanding
>programs ?-).

Armel,

I've used Topas for a real indexing problem which was "difficult". It
found a shortlist of "solutions" which have a very large volumes (80K to
500K A^3) off of seven very dodgy peaks. Some collaborators appeared to
be suitably impressed upon finding a cell they have seen for a
microcrystal at the top of the shortlist, although the hope was to find
a different crystal form. In this case Topas was outstanding. What works
very well is that there is no need for manual setting of parameter
limits - to get the "right" answer from most other programs you would
have to fiddle around to force them into the right part of the parameter
space. At least I imagine one could do that, I have yet to persevere and
didn't at the time as I had no knowledge of the microcrystal results.

My personal opinion is that the indexing in Topas is currently as good
as or better than any other program that I have used (mainly because I
can sort the list of proposals by G.O.F, number of unindexed lines and
volume). And no, I am not about to encourage "benchmarking" comparisons
by supplying examples.

Jon

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/UIYolB/TM