Re: [sdpd] Just press the button

>Either a Freudian slip or a carefully chosen word makes the link between
>"almost every innovation" and "waste material, harmful microorganisms,
>or other foreign bodies". Quote of the year for me - whether it was
>intentional or not ;-)

Intentional.

The word phagocytosis just seemed appropriate and colorful.

Scientists (including me) are all experts in absorbing foreign
bodies, climbing on the shoulders of previous scientists, etc.
This is normal practice. Why not calling that process absorption
or phagocytosis or even vampirism (in the sense of drinking the
essence of your predecessors or colleagues ;-).

Without that process, Science would be static...

In the phagocytose real sense, it is unknown if the absorbed
foreign bodies are reused for noble new applications or simply
rejected : an interesting research subject ;-).

Concerning computer programs for powder, other examples
than EXPO are numerous. For instance, in their current
versions, the GSAS or FULLPROF Rietveld computer codes
have considerably evolved from the original version in 1967-69.
The evolution is due to the creativity of their authors as well as
from some phagocytose. And most papers dealing mainly with
a Rietveld analysis do not cite the original papers, they cite the
Rietveld code used. Such is life. No need to call Freud (on which
shoulders was he standing anyway ?).

No taboo here. The SDPD mailing list examines SDPD on
all aspects and strategies : how to make a complete career
with it, how to solve, how to publish, how to have fun, no limit.
This is not a peer reviewed journal here. We have not to say
the truth in a coded language. We can express opinions and
not-scientific considerations which would be immediately sanitized
by powerful Editors.

You can even disagree !

Armel

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/UIYolB/TM