Re: [sdpd] Giant and still so big

Dear Armel,

First of all, Thank you for your comments about the compound labelled MIL-100.

Armel wrote : "However, if I was asked to explain how the structure was
solved exactly, I would be unable...
- pure prediction ? then matching with the powder pattern ?
- or "prediction" knowing the cell parameters (which would be in fact
"structure determination") and moving moieties inside of the cell by global
optimization ? Would be interesting to know exactly."

You will be able to find more details in the papers published in Angew Chem
(2004, vol 43, page 6285-6301).

Armel wrote : "And these limits were estimated for FWHM close to 0.02°
(2-theta). So, for 0.01° FWHM, you would have to multiply by 2...
Not far beyond - just inside the range. At ACA'97, such 0.01° FWHM was
already available and the estimation given was 576.000A**3 for a F-centered
cubic cell."

I am afraid to say that this compound is beyond and NOT inside the range
because we've got a ~0.023° FWHM (first (111) hkl reflection, d= 42.1 Å)
for this compound using the ID-31 beamline so a V = 387000 A**3 is still
higher than the estimation limit of V=288000 A**3 for FWHM close to 0.02°.
Anyway, soon another results will be published with same FWHM BUT with a
V=706.000 A**3 (Fd-3m S.G.)...

Regards

Franck

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/UIYolB/TM