RE: [sdpd] Trouble with GSAS tutorial on Sodium-para-hydroxybenzoate

Dear Yee Yan,
I don't know Dr Robert's tutorial, but evidently he is refining things
that you don't if he has 39 variables and you have only 11.
If you are in the Le Bail extraction step, POWPREF should not be run in
the middle of the process. Because the POWPREF run resets all observed
intensities to zero and during the first cycle GENLES will use those of
the dumb structural model (generally one H atom at a general position
x,y,z), this will make the next GENLES run to start form the wrong
point. If you are obliged to modify (by hand) the cell parameters, the
profile function parameter or the profile function itself. Then POWPREF
should be run, and several cycles of GENLES with 0 cycles should be run.
You will observe that the R factors decrease although you are using 0
cycles!. Go on with this 0 cycle procedure until you get an R factor
comparable with the one you were attaining after running POWPREF.
You should also look at the Rietveld archives or the CCP14 site for more
tutorials. And I suggest you to look at Brian Toby's EXPGUI web site
where there are several hints for correctly using GSAS/EXPGUI suite.
Good luck and have fun.
Leopoldo

Dr. Leopoldo Suescun
Laboratorio de Cristalografía, Estado Sólido y Materiales
(Cryssmat)/Dequifim
Facultad de Química. CC 1157
Av. Gral. Flores 2124
11800 Montevideo, Uruguay